Monday, November 12, 2012

I don't (feel) belong to any country

Lately, I got these type of questions that somehow difficult for me to answer..

Which country that are you belong?

First, I don't understand the meaning of the question :D
  • are they trying to ask which country that I feel belong?
  • or, are they trying to ask which is my favorite country?
  • or, are they trying to ask which country that I will support if there is a world war?
  • or, are they trying to ask what is my nationality?
Second, I don't know what happened with me, but to be honest, I don't feel that I belong to any country. 
I can say that I was born and raised in Indonesia
I can say that both my parents are Indonesian and the whole of my genetic family are living and staying in Indonesia
I can say that my nationality is Indonesian

but, I don't feel comfortable to describe myself as Indonesian and at some point I feel more Javanese than Indonesian even though my ancestors are from South Asia and South China and I've been raised by a mixture of Islam culture that acculturated to Javanese culture or Indonesian culture or whatsoever culture is and don't forget the media which has so strong power of influence :D  

but yeah, I have to admit that it's way easier to say "I'm Widy from Indonesia" when I introduced myself :p

image taken from Dmitry Dimitriev cover picture
 
well, my point is, if this situation happen to you,  it's okay if you feel so :)
it is normal to feel that way :)
I believe that there are lot of people have the feeling like this. well at least me :p

ha! now, I think my Nationalism, Globalism, and Cosmopolitanism class that I took several years ago does make sense :D I wish I paid more attention on that class (^o^")


1 comment: