Friday, January 11, 2013

Where is home?

*another post from the morning cycle-rickshaw journey to the office

As I leave my cozy and warm apartment, walk down to the road and see the image of what most people called as real life in Ghaziabad, I start to think about my definition of home and how it evolves time by time.

When I was small and very short (like about from the feet till the elbow of my Mom when she stands)
My home is my parent's house...

Then, I forgot when it was for exact, maybe the time when my brother entering the kindergarten, so I was about 6 or 7, my father start to give me a huge responsibility: He gave me my own room. He told me that I can't make any mess in the house anymore and I have to put all my stuffs in my room. Then, it also came along with other responsibilities such as I have to take care of it, I have to sweep and mop the floor everyday, clean the dust on the table, and make the bed by myself in the morning. Ah ya! He also gave me a size of me (by then) mirror which have a small cupboard on it and he told me that he would not brush my hair again and I should put all my make up and accessories there. Plus, he gave me some lectures about being woman and being safe. Then, it followed by another rule that everyone who want to come to my room should knock the door first and I have right to chose whether I want to open it or not. NICE!
Since then, home is my room in my parent's house..

As I got accepted in university at different city, I start to live in a "kos-kosan". In Indonesia, it's a house which the owner still lives there and he/she rent all of the room for university students or recent graduates.  
Well, home is where my room is :)  

In 2012, as I got promoted in my career, I moved in Thailand. Some circumstances happened about housing and accommodation as well as I traveled to other cities or countries most of the time. So I don't exactly have room. I slept on the mattress, on the floor with my suitcase, on the couch of somebody's place, on the bed in house/hostel/hotel, on the bench of the airport, on the bus, on the plane, on the train, anywhere that I can sleep :D On those particular times, I called home is a place that I can have a rest.
Then, I started to feel home on my sleeping place (whatever it is) and every time I step my feet on the area of airport after checking time.

But during on the move, there was a special place that I always longing for. I thought the feeling will be gone as I visit Jakarta or Surabaya or Malang, but it was not. It was my bed on my room in Bangkok.      
So, I said, home is where I have my bed in it.

However, on June-July 2012, my home members started to continue their journey and some new home members came in. I started to feel my soul was scattered away. I feel incomplete.
Finally, I understood what people say as "Home is where the heart is"

Despite all of those realizations, I sometimes still have some mix match feeling about home. As time goes by, I learn to not be attach with any materials and any mortal thing. Well, as my rickshaw slowly got close to my destination, I made a conclusion that...

Home is where I am right now in the moment


No comments:

Post a Comment